Picture

Picture
Me, my wife Kayla, I am holding Ellie, she is holding Hannah.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Days after the surgery

So I had surgery on Monday March 10th, 2014.  I had to be there by 5:00 am and surgery started at about 7:30.  Got there, went back to my pre-surgery room, got IV's and whatnot, they also gave me a patch behind the ear to help with nausea after the surgery with the anesthesia.  So it was a little after 7:00, my parents and my wife, Kayla, were there, they came to get me and drugged me up with some relaxing stuff, and that stuff was awesome, I have never been high before but I am sure that is about what it feels like haha.  We got back to the freezing cold room, I was still laying on the bed, and they still had time before the surgery started so they started showing me stuff around the room which was kinda amusing and kept me calm.  Then they gave me the oxygen mask and I was out until I woke up in the recovery room.

When I woke up I had no pain, no IV injected pain meds or anything.  Got wheeled up to my room, they gave me 2 pain killers, and my parents and Kayla got up to my room.  Then I took one more pain killer around 8:00pm and then only have taken tylonell extra strength since then with some aspirin for blood thinners but that is it.  I then got released on that Tuesday (a day before I was supposed to be released), went back to Johnstown for the night, then headed back to York on Wednesday where I am now at.

So the Doctor said that everything looks good now.  They cut me open like they did before, right over the old scar (which I think is why I didn't really feel any pain except for an ache every here and there).  He took everything out that involves the synovial chondromatosis, he said that the one piece was about the size of a ping pong ball behind my knee and he has no idea how I was even walking on it because my knee couldn't even bend or extend.  He also got the rest of the little pieces.  He took an X-ray before they took me out of surgery to make sure that he got everything which it looks like he did from what he says.  Right from I woke up in recovery, I could see that my knee was a lot straighter than it was before I had surgery.

So I had the nurse and the physical therapist come today, nurse said everything looks good, she showed Kayla how to do the dressing and the ace bandage on my leg.  The physical therapist showed me some exercises, she is gonna call the doctor to see what else I can do.  The nurse is done and doesn't need to come back anymore unless I call, and the physical therapist will be back on Saturday.

My next knee appointment with Dr. Weiss in Pittsburgh is on Wednesday March 26th.

From now to then, Kayla and the pups (Ellie and Hannah) will be taking care of me!

Here is some pictures, I will get some pictures up of my scars and surgery marks when I get a chance to take pictures of them.

Pre-surgery:



After surgery:

Patch behind the ear for my nausea:

On my way home from the hospital:

No comments:

Post a Comment