Picture

Picture
Me, my wife Kayla, I am holding Ellie, she is holding Hannah.

Monday, December 3, 2012

My First Blog Post!!

This is my first blog post ever, wow, I am behind on the times... haha

Well this year has been a crazy year so far and more yet to come, I started dating my now fiance Kayla at the end of 2011, we got engaged on July 10th of this year, and we are getting married on July 6th, 2013!!

I am going to try to keep these short because I am not a talker and especially not a typer.

In June of this year, I was mountain biking and I wrecked, I fell to my left and I hyper extended my right knee somehow.  So I let it rest a while figuring that if I let it rest that it will heal.  So then in July, Kayla's grandfather had passed away, during that day was a lot of standing around, I noticed a lot of pain in my right knee and it swelled up.  I thought this had to do with something with my hyper extended knee so I just ignored it.  I played softball throughout the fall.

After that, I went and saw my family doctor because it was still swelled up so he just stuck me on some meds and it did not do anything for me but cost me a dollar and some change for the meds.  Kayla is a volleyball coach for high school, her athletic trainer for her team is a physical therapist so I went up and saw her so that she could check out my knee.  She testd it to make sure nothing was torn and there was not, so she sent me to one of the sports doctors in her group.  He did xrays on me and sent me for a MRI.  The xrays showed up as what it looked like calcium deposits around my knee and the femur.  He had me get two MRI's, one normal and the other with contrast.  The one with contrast is with an IV and they inject something into you so it shows the muscles and ligaments better.  First off, I am not good with needles, I almost passed out when it went in me, after a few minutes I was fine and the MRI felt like it took a few hours.  I then went back to the doctor and he said that he thinks it's PVNS, and it is not localized in one spot, it was in a few spots.  He did not want to mess with it so he sent me to a doctor in Pittsburgh, PA, Dr. Kurt Weiss. He is an orthopedic surgeon.

This past Friday, (November 30th) me and my fiance drove out to Pittsburgh to see him.  He came in, asked the typical questions about how you did it and whatnot, he then looked at my xrays and MRI's.  He was actually kinda thrilled when he was looking at them, just because either disease I may have is rare.  He told me that I may have either PVNS or synovial chondromatosis, or it could be a mixture of both. He said he won't know until he gets into my leg to see. So I asked 50 questions and then we scheduled my surgery for December 17th, so two weeks from today.  He called me today to verify my appointment and I asked him a few questions, I asked how long the surgery would take, he said approximatly 3 hours, the reason for this is because they are opening up my leg in both the front and the back.  There is masses everywhere, on my knee itself, the side of it, my femur, and on my PCL in the back of my leg.  I then asked if they are going to be sticking a urinary catheter in me, which they freak me out, and he said of course but asked if I wanted it out before I woke up and I didn't hesitate a second and said yes please, I just got to remember to remind him in two weeks because he might forget.  Then I asked if I needed a MRI before the surgery because I couldn't remember what he said, he said no.

So that is my year in short, I will continue to update this is more on my surgery, the recovery, and whatever else I think to spam this blog with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment